All things Demi Lovato, just not her social security number.


Monday, September 16, 2013

This One Time, During Summer Class

Tuesday, June 18, at 12 in the afternoon I got a text from Jill, my best friend from home. At this point in the summer I was taking summer classes at school while she was at home on Long Island.  Considering I live about a half hour away from Fordham, she asked if I wanted to go to The X Factor auditions at the Nassau Coliseum. The X Factor is a TV music competition show that was started by Simon Cowell. Demi is a judge on X Factor, the American version. I never really watched the show until Demi and Britney Spears became the two new judges last year. They both made the show super funny, and definitely more entertaining. Demi and Britney made a good duo on the judge panel. For the upcoming season of X Factor, Britney Spears will not be returning. Instead Kelly Rowland and Paulina Rubio will be two new judges beside Demi and Simon.

Anyway, I was so confused when Jill asked me to go because I didn't even know auditions were going to be so close to my house. Her mom works at an office building that is part of Nassau Coliseum and she got 4 free tickets for the show. Knowing my obsession with Demi, Jill obviously asked me to go. The only problem was deciding on whether or not I should go to class, or go to the show. My summer class was only 3 days a week for 3 hours. As soon as Jill asked me, I called my mom to see if she would be able to pick me up that night to come home. Once my mom told me she could come get me, it wasn't a hard decision: I was going to the show.

Wednesday, June 19, 2013. It was a hot, but bright and sunny day. Apparently there are strict dress codes for audience members of TV music shows. No one could wear white, no jeans, no sneakers, and bright colors were recommended. This makes sense considering there is a possibility of the audience being seen on TV (and no one wants to see unattractive things on TV). The show was supposed to start at 2:00, but the doors opened at 1. It wasn't a live show because it was just the audition round, but everything was filmed because anything has the potential of making it on TV. It was me, Jill, my friend Maryssa, and Jill's sister Sammy. When we got to the Coliseum, it was crazy packed. People were lined up outside the doors, and the line went on forever. Everyone was screaming, jumping, and waiving their hands. We waited on line for about an hour and a half. I don't think anyone was expecting this big of a crowd for the show. The system was unorganized and people were going crazy. Every 15 minutes groups of people who worked for different radio stations would walk by and give prizes out to the crowd. Maryssa got a "I Love NY" shirt and Sammy got a bottle opener. They were giving away such strange items, but it got the crowd going. Everyone would scream and jump when these people would walk by. And every now and then a camera would walk by, filming everyone on line that was excited.

Because we didn't know that showing up early was the smart thing to do, we were part of one of the last sections to enter the coliseum. Little did we know that this would workout in our favor. We were just excited to be even watching the show that to us, it didn't matter where we sat. The Nassau Coliseum is where the NY Islanders play their games. The stage was on the floor, where the rink is located. There was a section on the floor right in front of the stage where seats were set up. Then there was another section that was a step above the group level and there were two more rows on that section. We walked down to the ground level, where the Islanders enter the rink when they are ready to play. As we walked through the curtains I saw the entire stage and a huge crowd of people screaming in the stands. Everyone who was not on the ground level was sitting in the normal seats (where people would sit to watch islander games). Just walking into the crowd was pretty cool; I felt like I was in the middle of a concert.

Turns out, being in the last section actually paid off. Me and my friends got the best seats in the entire show. As we sat down, the woman who brought us to our seats told us "If any of you need to go to the bathroom, now is the time. You guys are in the section that is right behind the judges when the camera is on. So, any close up shot of the judge panel and you will all be in the background. If you leave your seats I will have to replace you because we do not want any missing seats." This was crazy. The entire show is based on the judge panel and the people singing on stage. There is a great chance that we will be seen on TV in the background. Remember before when I explained the seating section? Well we were in the first row of the section that was a step above the ground level. The reason our section was a step up was because……the judges needed a pathway to walk from outside, to their seats at the panel.

2:30pm: The show is ready to begin. The lights darken, and the music starts playing. The announcer comes on and the crowd goes crazy. He announces the judges as they all enter together. They are standing right by the curtain (the same one I entered through) and they all turn and wave to the crowd. Then Kelly Rowland and Paulina Rubio walk to the right while Demi walks to the left. I am in the front row on the left side so she walks right by our section to get to her seat. As she walks by, she puts her hands out and starts high-fiving everyone's hands. Everyone is screaming and she hits my hand! That wasn't enough for me I guess because I jumped off the step and grabbed her arm as she was walking away to her seat. For her it was nothing, but for me it was the funniest thing ever. Me and all my friends laughed because I jumped of the ledge just to touch her. Writing this out makes me sound so creepy and look like a crazy fan. The whole rest of the time all we talked about was how we touched her hand and how we were never washing that hand again.


Overall it was a great show and I had a lot of fun. Now I am looking forward to finding the episode on TV when it airs to see if I made the background. Both my parents watch the show, so I am sure if I miss it, they will definitely see it!






No comments:

Post a Comment